5 things to do while waiting for an appointment with your major adviser

advisor_priyanka-karthikeyan_file
Priyanka Karthikeyan/File

It’s inevitable — we need to make that appointment with an adviser at some point this semester to plan how to complete our major. Given the limited time availabilities and the number of advisers, this task is anything but menial. When the time actually comes, however, there are a number of things you can do to take your mind off the pending stress-inducing meeting.

Take an online quiz

You know what? Adviser meetings are stressful, and sometimes you just need to relax before you get bombarded with information about your future. Taking an online quiz to find out what your backpack says about you are based on your personality is a way to just ease your tension.

Actually research your future

On the opposite end of the spectrum, if you want to be assured that your future career path is secure, you can always use the extra time to research what steps you can take after graduation to build that dream career of yours.

Use a GPA calculator to figure out what grades you’ll need in future classes to get your desired GPA

In an adviser meeting, you’ll eventually arrive at the uncomfortable topic of grades and your GPA. Use this time to figure out what classes you’ll need to take in the future to meet your major requirements as well as the best grades you can get to raise that GPA.

Check for the billionth time that you have everything you need for the meeting

Some adviser meetings require a whole bunch of documents to be processed when your adviser meets with you. Take this extra time to get organized and check that you have everything you need for the meeting.

Calculate the lowest score you need on a final to pass

You’ll probably be contemplating your academic situation while waiting for the meeting. Might as well make use of it and calculate the lowest score you need to get on your finals to pass.

While adviser meetings are stressful, they’re also incredibly useful in helping you plan your time at Cal. Make use of this resource and go Bears!

Contact Ananya Sreekanth at [email protected].