Summer fun in the Bay: Things to do if you’re staying in Berkeley

summer_zainabali_file
Zainab Ali/File

Summer’s almost here, Golden Bears! What are your plans? Are you going home or staying in the wonderful city of Berkeley? If you’re staying here, then you’re in luck. The weather will be amazing — it won’t be too hot (like SoCal), but it will be perfect for exploring the lovely city of San Francisco and the great outdoors of the Bay Area. We promise you won’t get bored. Just to prove it to you, here are some activities you can do to make your time in Berkeley less dreadful this summer.

Kayaking

There are a ton of spots where you can kayak around the Bay. This is the perfect activity if you want to relax with your friends. Some of our favorite kayaking spots include Lake Merritt, Lake Chabot, Pier 40 and Sausalito.

Hiking

The Bay Area has some of the most beautiful and enchanting sceneries out there. Go and experience them! There are a ton of hiking trails around Berkeley and San Francisco that we highly recommend that you explore. Enjoy the view of the Bay and the famous Golden Gate Bridge.

Beaches

It’s summer, so of course you have to go to the beach and get your tan game on. Don’t worry, SoCal isn’t the only place with nice beaches. Some of our favorite beaches in Bay Area include Stinson and Ocean Beach.

Concerts

Outside Lands 2018 will be hosted in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park from August 10-12. The lineup includes ODESZA, The Weeknd, Future, Florence + The Machine and many more. It’s like Coachella 2.0! If Outside Lands isn’t your scene, you can catch artists like Khalid performing in San Francisco this summer on May 5 or Chris Brown in Concord on June 21. You can also relive your childhood by going to an Aly & AJ concert in San Francisco on June 3!

Napa

Napa is the heart and soul of winemaking. Be bougie and go wine tasting with some pals. It’s something we should all try once in our lives. It’s like the first step into the world of “adult” activities.

Fairs

The California State Fair is taking place in Sacramento from July 13-29 and is a great place to spend your weekend with friends and family. Enjoy the various attractions and performances. If you don’t want to make the trip out to Sacramento, you can attend the Alameda County Fair in Pleasanton. There will be horse races, a carnival and some bomb ass food. GO!

We know summer school can be a pain in the ass, but at least you’re taking it in the Bay where there are many activities and events you can attend throughout the summer. Make this summer one to remember!

Contact Kelly Fong at [email protected].