UC Berkeley releases strategic plan to boost housing, improve student experience

sproul_rachaelgarner_file-copy
Rachael Garner /File

Chancellor Carol Christ released a preliminary draft early Wednesday morning for the new strategic plan of UC Berkeley — the first strategic plan created by the administration since 2002.

Christ appointed four working groups composed of administrators, faculty and students, overseen by the Steering Committee. Some proposed goals for the campus include improving the student experience, spearheading initiatives to solve society’s most pressing challenges and preparing for future increases in undergraduate enrollment.

Both the working groups and the Steering Committee met with key groups on campus, including the ASUC Senate and the Graduate Assembly.

Among its multiple goals, the strategic plan endorses recommendations made by the Housing Master Plan Task Force in January 2017. The task force advised increasing the number of undergraduates and graduates housed by the campus to 50 percent and 25 percent, respectively.

While the plan states that some implementation is already underway for “high priority” recommendations, the next steps of the strategic plan include input and discussion by the campus community throughout the course of the year.

Contact Francesca Munsayac at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @fcfm_dc.