For the second year in a row, The Daily Californian won best all-around newspaper in the Society of Professional Journalists’ regional Mark of Excellence Awards.
The SPJ’s Region 11 Mark of Excellence Awards, announced Monday, honor remarkable achievements in collegiate journalism in Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii, Nevada and the Northern Mariana Islands. We at the Daily Cal are grateful to our readers for their consistent feedback, tips and accountability.
Here’s a full list of the awards Daily Cal staff won:
- Best all-around daily student newspaper: The Daily Californian
- General news reporting: Young America’s Foundation: Who is funding UC Berkeley’s Ben Shapiro event? by Ashley Wong
- Sports writing: The burden of representation by Nicky Shapiro
- General column writing: Labor pains, Free the nipple and Mo’ money, mo’ problems by Mia Villanueva
- In-depth reporting: ‘It’s rampant’: Documents reveal 124 cases of UC employees’ sex misconduct by news staff
- Editorial writing: Students deserve better leaders than UC regent Norman Pattiz; UC Berkeley’s glacial effort to rename buildings that honor racists is inexcusable; and On Urban Shield, Berkeley must make a decision, and it needs to make the right one by Suhauna Hussain
- Sports photography: Cal football falls short after 2nd-half comeback vs. Arizona, loses 45-44 in OT by Lianne Frick