Man arrested in connection to 2 sexual batteries near UC Berkeley

dickey_ucpd_courtesy-copy
UCPD/Courtesy

45-year-old Jesus Dickey was arrested in People’s Park after he was connected to two separate incidents of sexual battery near the UC Berkeley campus April 23, as first reported by Berkeleyside.

Dickey allegedly approached a female UC Berkeley student near Durant Food Court at approximately 1:15 a.m. and followed her to Freeborn Hall in Unit 1, according to a Nixle alert issued April 23. Upon reaching the Unit 1 courtyard, he allegedly asked the student for a hug, which she denied, and then grabbed her buttock.

A security monitor at Freeborn Hall’s entrance told Dickey to leave and subsequently called UCPD, which located and arrested Dickey at about 3:40 a.m. in People’s Park, according to Berkeleyside.

At about 3:10 a.m., before Dickey was arrested, he allegedly tried to choke a woman as she pushed open the door to a residential building in the 2500 block of Durant Avenue, according to Berkeleyside. The woman called 911 and Berkeley Police Department responded, but Dickey allegedly fled before BPD officers arrived on the scene.

A UCPD officer recognized Dickey from surveillance footage at Freeborn Hall and detained him in People’s Park. Police took Dickey to Berkeley Jail, and he was booked on charges of kidnapping with sexual intent, false imprisonment and burglary in connection with an unspecified BPD investigation, according to court documents.

Contact Anjali Shrivastava at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @anjalii_shrivas.