Berkeley man arrested on suspicion of sexual assault

user42150-1525476919-media1

Berkeley Police Department arrested Berkeley resident Alphonso Lamont McInnis about 2:12 p.m. Thursday on suspicion of sexual assault, according to a Nixle alert.

Police apprehended McInnis on the 1900 block of University Avenue, and McInnis was taken to Berkeley Jail, where he was booked on several charges of sexual assault and a parole violation, according to the alert.

On April 19, a female high school student was sexually assaulted near the 1500 block of Addison Street between 11:00 and 11:30 a.m. BPD was notified of the incident afterward and commenced an investigation into the suspect.

On April 28, an unknown suspect attacked a UC Berkeley student near the intersection of Channing Way and College Avenue at approximately 4:30 a.m. The victim was able to escape into Slottman Hall of Unit 1. The incident was initially reported to UCPD as an attempted robbery, and security footage was shared with the community. After reviewing the footage, detectives determined that the suspect was McInnis.

BPD asks that residents of the 1500 block of Addison Street with surveillance cameras review their camera footage. If they have any information, BPD requests that they contact the Berkeley Police Sex Crimes Detail at 510-981-5716.

Revati Thatte is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @revati_thatte.

• StanFromSomewhere

Another frequent flyer in the criminal justice system who should have been locked up a long time ago, except goo-goo liberals felt compelled to keep giving him a second, third, fourth chance etc.