4 men arrested for string of robberies over weekend

crime_danielkim_file
Daniel Kim/File

Berkeley Police Department responded to reports of a deli robbery on 2500 block of Telegraph Avenue at 3:30 p.m. Sunday, according to a Nixle alert.

After the suspect entered the deli, he stole a can of soda and punched an employee who confronted him, the report said. BPD apprehended the suspect on Telegraph Avenue and Haste Street — Kenyatta Massey, 48, a homeless community member, was arrested on suspicion of robbery and resisting arrest, according to the alert.

The Nixle alert said that at 7:11 p.m., a victim was sitting in front of the Bank of America on Shattuck Avenue when he was approached by two suspects, one of whom punched the victim in the face and took his phone and computer bag.

At that point, a “good Samaritan” attempted to intervene but was punched in the face by one of the suspects. The good Samaritan’s girlfriend pepper-sprayed the man who had just assaulted her partner, and the “dynamic duo of good Samaritans” chased the two suspects as they ran westbound on Center Street and identified one of the suspects to BPD officers as they arrived on the 2000 block of Center Street, according to the alert.

BPD arrested Stanley Trotter, 28, a homeless Berkeley community member, on suspicion of robbery and falsifying identification to the police, while the other suspect remains at large, the alert said.

BPD asks the community members with knowledge of the aforementioned incident to call 510-981-5742.

Another incident mentioned in the alert was a report at 7:32 p.m. from a male victim who was assaulted and robbed by two male suspects. The victim was chased by one of the suspects but managed to escape.

The alert said BPD apprehended one of the suspects running from the scene on the 1900 block of Dwight Way and later identified him as Berkeley resident Christian Wallace, 22. Berkeley Police Dispatch, in addition, received a call about a suspicious person parked in a silver car on the 1900 block of Haste Street, and he was later identified as the second suspect, Darrel Finney, 27, according to the alert.

According to the Nixle alert, both Finney and Wallace were in possession of the victim’s property.

Francesca Munsayac is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @fcfm_dc.