Marthe Wold heads to NCAA Championships as sole representative of Cal women’s golf

wgolf_pdowney_file-1-698x450
Phillip Downey/File

After graduating with a degree in interdisciplinary studies this weekend, senior Marthe Wold will head to Stillwater, Oklahoma to compete in the NCAA Division I Women’s Golf Championships starting Friday. While Cal did not qualify as a team to compete in this tournament, Wold did qualify as an individual.

One week ago at the NCAA Division I Regional tournament, Cal had fallen down the leaderboard with virtually no hope of climbing back up. Senior and co-captain Wold was faced with the possibility of competing in her last tournament ever as a Bear. She, however, thwarted this threat with her incredible performance, finishing in a tie for third overall and punching her ticket to the championships.

For anyone who has been following the Bears this year, Wold’s final performance will come as no surprise. Throughout the spring, Wold has been playing with an unparalleled consistency and has provided leadership and stability for a team that has been plagued by injuries all season.

Beginning as early as February, Wold appeared locked in. In the Bears’ first spring tournament she notched the lowest score and finished tied for 11th overall.

In March, when the team competed in the SDSU March Mayhem tournament, Wold won all three of her match play rounds, including the Bears’ only victory against No. 1 UCLA. Later in the season she once again finished in the top 25 at the Silverado Showdown and in the Pac-12 tournament.

Before the regional tournament, Wold was arguably having her best season of her college career — after her performance at TPC Harding Park there was no doubt about this. Not only did Wold capture a much coveted ticket to the national tournament, but her performance at the regional tournament was her best round and finish of her career at Cal.

The championship tournament will begin May 18 and continue through the weekend. While this is undoubtedly the biggest stage for collegiate women’s golf, Wold heads to Oklahoma as an experienced veteran playing the best golf of her life.

Graham Griffin covers women’s golf. Contact her at [email protected].