Class of 2018: 10 individuals to join Cal Hall of Fame

sport-mug-composit

For the second straight year, 10 individuals will be inducted into the Cal Athletic Hall of Fame.

The Class of 2018 features Alysia Montaño, Duje Draganja, Elsie Windes, Geoff McArthur, Joe Starkey, Kristina Thorson, Leon Powe, Ramon Jimenez-Gaona, Teri McKeever and Valerie McClain.

With the addition of the 33rd induction class, the Cal Athletic Hall of Fame will grow to 307 individuals and six rowing teams.

These individuals will be honored twice in late October. On Oct. 26, a formal induction ceremony will be held at the annual Hall of Fame banquet at the Greek Orthodox Church conference center in Oakland. The next day, the inductees will be honored on the field at California Memorial Stadium as Cal football takes on Washington.

Of the 10 Bears inducted, Draganja, McKeever, Windes and McClain built their respective bodies of work in the water.

McClain stands as one of the few varsity athletes in Cal’s history to participate for both a men’s and women’s program. In 1979, McClain helped lead the men’s rowing team to an undefeated season en route to a Pac-10 title and would become the first woman to earn a Big C letter in a men’s sport at Cal.

Draganja (2002-05) secured eight NCAA titles during his swimming tenure, two coming from a pair of wins in the 100-yard free at the 2003 and 2005 NCAA Championships. At the Pac-10 Championships, Draganja would earn five individual victories and play a key role in 10 relay wins.

McKeever, from 1992 to the present day, has overseen 2 1/2 decades of prosperity as the head coach of Cal women’s swim. During McKeever’s tenure, Cal has won four NCAA titles and Pac-12 titles apiece — McKeever led the Bears to top-three finishes in each of the past 10 seasons.

Windes (2004-07) was a three-time All-American during her time with Cal women’s water polo. A premier scorer, Windes currently ranks 10th all-time in scoring and led the Bears in scoring in two seasons.

In addition to those whose domains were the water, a pair of representatives hail from track and field in Jimenez-Gaona and Montaño.

Montaño (2004-08) put together an extensive resume during her time at Cal, being named an All-American six times. Montaño dominated in the 800 meters, winning the indoor and outdoor titles in 2007. Her times in the indoor and outdoor 800 still stand as school records.

Jimenez-Gaona (1990-93), a three-time NCAA runner-up in discus, still holds the school record in the discus with a mark of 210-11. In 1991 and 1992, Jimenez-Gaona won a pair of Pac-10 titles.

Two individuals hail from the gridiron as well, both on and off the field.

McArthur (2000-04) was an offensive machine during his time at Cal and currently holds the school record with 3,188 receiving yards, as well as the record for receiving yards in a season, with 1,504 in 2003. McArthur is also tied for the all-time lead for 100-yard receiving games, with 11 to his name.

On the microphone, Starkey will be entering his 44th season as the radio voice of Cal football. Beginning in 1975, Starkey has been the voice behind a plethora of memorable moments in Cal’s history, the most notable being “The Play” in 1982.

Powe and Thorson will serve as the lone representatives of men’s basketball and softball, respectively.

Powe (2004-06) made his presence known during his time on the hardwood as a Bear, winning Pac-10 Freshman of the Year and earning two first-team all-conference awards. Powe ranks in the top 10 in school history, with career averages of 17.8 points per game and 9.8 rebounds per game.

Thorson (2003-06), a three-time second-team All-American, flat-out dominated during her time on the mound, becoming the first Cal pitcher to be named Pac-10 Pitcher of the Year in school history. Thorson’s fingerprints are all over Cal’s all-time leaderboards — she ranks in the top five in strikeouts, wins, saves and games pitched.

Contact Justice delos Santos at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @justdelossantos