Berkeley Fire Department issues shelter in place warning for 1600 block of Woolsey Street

google image for gas leak
Google/Courtesy

Update 5/25/18: This article has been updated to reflect information from PG&E spokesperson Tamar Sarkissian.

Berkeley Fire Department issued a shelter in place warning for the 1600 block of Woolsey Street because of a gas leak, according to a Nixle alert sent at about 10:15 a.m.

The alert stated that fire department personnel are on the scene and that for more information, residents should check 1610 AM radio every 30 minutes.

BFD released a second alert at about 10:49 a.m. canceling the shelter in place and stating that the leak had been controlled.

According to PG&E spokesperson Tamar Sarkissian, PG&E was first notified of the leak at 10:07 a.m. and was able to stop the gas flow by 10:25 a.m. Sarkissian said the leak was caused by a third-party construction crew working on remodeling, which struck a half-inch service line.

Sarkissian added that the gas dig hit would not affect any other customers, stating that the leak was confined to one address.

PG&E advises that residents considering digging projects of any size call 811 first to proceed safely.

Revati Thatte is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @revati_thatte.