April shootings suspects taken into custody, receive charges

shootings
Google Maps/Courtesy

Berkeley resident Amed Arabzai, 20, and Richmond resident Grayson Gordon, 21, received charges on May 21 after investigations into two shootings that occurred in April, according to a Nixle alert sent Friday.

According to the Nixle alert, Arabzai was taken into custody during a warrant search on the 1300 block of 66th Street in Berkeley. Gordon was arrested on the 600 block of Carlson Boulevard in Richmond.

Detectives found a .40 caliber pistol with an altered serial number, 30 pounds of marijuana and about $15,000 in cash in Arabzai’s residence, and a second firearm in Gordon’s residence, according to the alert.

The alert also states that the motives for the shootings appear to have been gang-related.

Arabzai was charged on suspicion of possession for sale of marijuana and alteration, removal or obliteration of a firearm identification number, according to the Nixle alert. Gordon was charged on suspicion of shooting at an inhabited dwelling, assault with a semiautomatic firearm, use and carry of a loaded and concealed firearm in public, carrying an unregistered firearm and an enhancement for the use of the firearm while attempting to commit a felony.

Gordon remains in custody at the Alameda County jail, while Arabzai was released “on his own recognizance,” according to the alert.

Revati Thatte is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @revati_thatte.