Police arrest 1 in connection with gunfight in South Berkeley

screen-shot-2018-06-04-at-8-49-43-pm

Berkeley Police Department received several reports of gunfire near the intersection of Sacramento Street and Oregon Street at about 6:30 p.m. on Friday, according to a Nixle alert released Monday.

Officers found a stopped vehicle near the scene at San Pablo Avenue and Ashby Avenue that they suspected might be connected to the gunfight — they discovered an individual inside the vehicle who had been shot, and subsequently called for medical assistance. A gun was also located inside the vehicle, the Nixle alert stated.

The individual was identified as Vallejo resident Darelle Antoine Kimball, 27. Kimball was transported to the hospital for injuries that were not considered life-threatening and was arrested on suspicion of  two charges: suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and carrying a loaded and concealed firearm.

BPD advises residents living near the area to check their surveillance cameras for any footage of the incident. Those who may have witnessed the crime or have information concerning the case should call the Berkeley Police Homicide Detail at 510-981-5741.

Check back on this story for updates.

Francesca Munsayac is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @fcfm_dc.