Cal baseball’s star named finalist for Golden Spikes Award

Cal baseball’s rising junior Andrew Vaughn has been named a finalist for the Golden Spikes Award, USA Baseball announced Wednesday.

Vaughn has become the second Bear in program history to be named a finalist for the award, the first being Cal Hall of Famer Lance Blankenship in 1984.

In addition to Vaughn, Auburn pitcher Casey Mize, Florida pitcher Brady Singer and Texas infielder Kody Clemens, all of whom were recently selected in this year’s MLB draft, were chosen as the other three finalists.

The Detroit Tigers selected both Mize and Clemens with the No. 1 and No. 79 overall picks, respectively, while the Kansas City Royals took Singer at No. 18.

Vaughn, who has yet to complete his junior season, was ineligible for this year’s draft but will be eligible next year.

On paper, Vaughn had a better statistical season than did Clemens, besting him in almost every major offensive category, but Clemens has the benefit of playing on an elite Texas squad that is currently pursuing a national championship.

In three postseason games, Clemens is batting .500 over 14 at-bats with a pair of home runs, both of which came against Texas A&M.

Player AB AVG OBP SLG HR RBI BB
Vaughn 199 .402 .531 .819 23 63 44
Clemens 231 .346 .433 .706 21 68 35

Should Vaughn win the Golden Spikes Award, he’ll be the first player in Cal history to do so and the eighth player in Pac-12 history.

Justice delos Santos covers baseball. Contact Justice delos Santos at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @justdelossantos