Picks of the Week: Calling all comedy TV buffs — time to prove your worth

picks-of-the-week_netflix-courtesy
Netflix /Courtesy

Happy Monday, Berkeley.

I love the Black Keys. And this Friday, the father of the Black Keys’ Dan Auerbach, Chuck Auerbach, is releasing an LP. As Chuck Auerbach only has one song on Spotify that you can listen to until he releases Remember Me, and, as I’ve already mentioned, I love the Black Keys, put on what is arguably the best Black Keys album, Brothers, to soundtrack your read and the rest of your afternoon.

A side note: “Everlasting Light” — arguably the best track on arguably the best Black Keys album — was the song playing at the moment of my former editor’s first kiss. He tells the full story in this podcast — give it a listen.

Since you’ve already delved into an afternoon of podcasts and album listening, take the rest of the day to brush up on your “Seinfeld” — trust me, it’ll come in handy on Thursday.

Now, for Tuesday, wander over to The Cheese Board Collective for dinner. The pizza of the day will feature zucchini, onion, mozzarella and Valbreso feta cheese and will be garnished with house-made basil pesto. A personal recommendation: Buy a head of roasted garlic to add to it.

While you’re over that way, go next door to the bakery and grab some scones for a scrumptious breakfast the next morning — there’s a pun to be made with scone and scrumptious, but I’ll refrain. Anyway, if you’re under 21, stick around and enjoy the music, as Zamico will be playing some dinner jams until 7:45 p.m.

If you’re over 21, however, and you feel like riding BART into San Francisco, go over to The Chapel in San Francisco at about 6 p.m. for a “30 Rock” trivia night. This the first of presumably many “Trivia Tuesday” nights at the cozy concert venue.

If you were sad that your ID kept you from attending the trivia night, you’re in luck Wednesday night. HammerFall will be playing a $30 show ($32 at the door) at The Chapel for all ages. HammerFall kind of looks like a bunch of Vikings whose heavy metal music will make your ears bleed, but in fact, the band’s heavy metal music is rather catchy. But as the group’s members hail from Gothenburg, Sweden, it’s hard to not still think of them as Vikings.

If that still doesn’t float your boat, hang tight for Friday night, when Dirty Projectors will be playing the same venue. Or, if you are still really torn up about missing that “30 Rock” trivia night, Café du Nord will be transformed into “Tom’s Restaurant crossed with The Soup Nazi’s kitchen” on Thursday for a night of — you guessed it — “Seinfeld” trivia.

But that’s not all. There will also be a comedy showcase featuring “local comedians that Jerry Seinfeld himself would be mildly impressed with,” a Seinfeld-themed menu and Seinfeld-themed cocktails (for those 21 and up).

While we’re on a Seinfeld kick, let’s take a minute to appreciate “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee,” recently referenced in The Daily Californian’s list of likely snubs this Emmy Awards season. If you’ve never seen an episode of the show, or even if you have, the episode with Barack Obama is excellent.

If you feel like going down the rabbit hole, all of the show’s “Late Night Espresso” collection is excellent.

Alternatively, a night of comedy also awaits you in Berkeley. Ashkenaz Music & Dance Community Center will host its second annual Gay Pride Comedy Night on Thursday. Come for the multicultural and multigenerational array of Bay Area-based LGBTQ+ comedians; stay to get your Pride Month off to a strong — and laughter-filled — start.

Now, we’ve made our way to the end of the week, but let’s say you’re not in the mood for trivia. Let’s say you’re not in the mood for any BART trips to San Francisco at all this week. Then there are plenty of new movies playing in Berkeley: “Ocean’s 8,” “Deadpool 2” and “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” to name a few. Not all of these movies may be film’s finest, but can a night of galaxy-soaring or bad-guy-fighting really be all that bad? “Ocean’s 8,” starring eight of Hollywood’s most brilliant women, is especially of note.

And last but not least, I leave you with another read: Kate Tinney wrote her first piece as the arts & entertainment department’s summer columnist. It is a beautiful introduction into a series that will explore shifting artistic contexts and perspectives. Keep a look out for her next piece this Tuesday, and subscribe below to see this newsletter in your inbox next week.

Until next time.

Subscribe to our Picks of the Weeks newsletter

Check out our arts & entertainment staff's weekly newsletter on local concerts, shows, cultural events and more.
  • Please let us know what types of events you'd like to learn more about, both in terms of type of art (e.g. concerts, art galleries, theater shows) and in terms of location (e.g. Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco).

Olivia Jerram is the assistant arts & entertainment editor. Contact her at [email protected].