Ways to handle life after the freshman year blues have got you down

coloredited_hannahcooper_h1b
Hannah Cooper/Staff

Congratulations! You have completed a year at UC Berkeley and are now knee-deep in summer. By now, it is apparent that even though it is summer break, people expect you to have your act together. Therefore, it is important to continue being an adult and still relax during this break. Here are some tips to do that.

1. Remember that UC Berkeley is tough

In interactions with high school friends, it can be discouraging hearing how easy and fun their first years of college were. However, you have to remember that UC Berkeley is a challenging school and that it was probably the reason you chose it in the first place. The very fact that you are going to UC Berkeley is an accomplishment and you shouldn’t let the short amount of time you have been here make you feel doomed. Don’t let your perceptions of this one year hold you back — instead recognize that you are doing great by challenging yourself.

2. Meet up with old and new friends

It is always nice to have someone react to what you are doing this summer beside the person who instantly got their dream internship for the summer. A friend can also be a sympathetic ear to your college woes and can help talk you through them and help you move on to do something more productive with your summer. High school or college friends will do — just talk and enjoy each other’s company.

3. Deal with your housing

Chances are that you will not be living in a dorm next semester. This probably means finding an apartment or getting utilities set up in an apartment you will lease, plus organizing other things to move in. All of this is a new experience if all you had to do last time was review a couple of options and check a few boxes. However, don’t let that fear stop you from completing these steps. Do them carefully and quickly. Not only will you not have to worry about it for the rest of the summer, but it will be evidence that you are an adult and that you can totally tackle another year of college.

4. Go outside

When consumed with the summer blues, it may feel like the best thing to do is stay inside and just binge-watch your favorite show on Netflix. However, it’s summer and the sun is shining bright. Enjoy the nice weather this season brings — it will get you out of that rut and hopefully get you to do whatever you need to do.

5. Don’t compare your high school and college experiences

In high school, you probably got straight A’s and went on different adventures. However, in college that may no longer be the case. That doesn’t mean you have gotten worse since coming to college. Instead, take it as just a new challenge. By comparing your faults to past accomplishments you won’t be able to find the courage to make new accomplishments.

Don’t worry if college has gotten you to feel down and summer isn’t the stress-reliever you thought it would be. Just remember there is still fun stuff besides all of the new adult things you have to do. Be positive, recognize the challenge of new things and do them — the relaxing will come in between.

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected] .