Former Yale men’s crew assistant coach joins Cal men’s rowing

mrowing_michaelpaiva_courtesy
Michael Paiva/Courtesy

Cal men’s rowing, which recently bid adieu to longtime head coach Mike Teti, has brought on a Berkeley native to join its coaching staff. On Thursday, the Bears announced the addition of assistant coach Sam Baum.

Baum is a former assistant coach and recruiting coordinator for the Yale men’s heavyweight crew program. Throughout his seven years with the Bulldogs, Baum helped Yale secure four consecutive Eastern Association of Rowing Colleges championships from 2015 to 2018.

As an assistant, Baum played a role in ending Yale’s 30-year period without a title as well as bringing impressive results to the team as a recruiting coordinator. Baum will join Cal head coach Scott Frandsen to look to extend the same success in Berkeley next season.

“I’m thrilled to have Sam joining our coaching staff,” Frandsen said in a CalBears.com article. “He has done an outstanding job at Yale and has helped them win back-to-back national championships. He knows the recruiting world, both domestically and internationally, and will bring a lot to our staff.”

The Berkeley native and lifelong Cal fan should feel right at home during his new career with the Bears. Baum won three state titles with the Oakland Strokes and placed second in the 8-plus event at the USRowing Youth National Championships, while attending Berkeley High School.

As a collegiate rower, he took bronze at the IRA National Championship in 2006 and received the most valuable rower award at the University of Pennsylvania that same spring. Baum then returned to the Bay Area to coach at Junipero Serra High School in San Mateo for two years.

Contact Carson Lang at [email protected].