Cal men’s basketball releases 2018-19 nonconference schedule

mbasketball_vivianroan_file-copy-698x450-copy
Vivian Roan/File

Cal men’s basketball revealed a nonconference schedule for the 2018-19 season that will have the team log a whopping 18,000 miles of travel before the beginning of Pac-12 play.

Over the course of two months, Cal will play 14 nonconference games, the first being an exhibition match against Cal State East Bay that will not count for the team’s record.

Much of the team’s travel will come when Cal travels over 6,000 miles to Shanghai to battle Yale for the 2018 Pac-12 China Game, the Bears’ first regular season game of the season.

Cal will face off with familiar names in St. Mary’s, San Diego State and Seattle, teams that the Bears played last season.

The Bears overcame a raucous road environment to defeat the Aztecs by one point and convincingly dropped a 22-spot on the Redhawks, but suffered an 11-point loss at the hands of the Gaels.

Cal’s matchups against St. Mary’s typically take place at Haas Pavilion, but next season’s showdown will take place at McKeon Pavilion for the first time since 1988.

While a good chunk of the Bears’ nonconference games will come against teams hailing from California, they’ll have the opportunity to duel against some East Coast competition at the Legends Classic in mid-November.

Cal will host Hampton and Detroit Mercy for the Berkeley Regional Round of the classic before flying to Barclays Center in Brooklyn to battle St. John’s and either Temple or Virginia Commonwealth.

In addition to the aforementioned opponents, Cal will face Santa Clara, University of San Francisco, Cal Poly, Fresno State and San Jose State.

Last season, Cal went 6-7 against nonconference opponents, suffering its first losing record in nonconference play since the 2003-04 season.

Justice delos Santos covers men’s basketball. Contact Justice delos Santos at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @justdelossantos