Quick and easy summer workout tips for busy Bears

Summer for students is often seen as a fresh start — many resolve to read more, work on creative projects or finally learn how to use all those strange machines at the gym. However, if you are working, interning or taking summer classes, it can be hard to find time to work out. Never fear! We at the Clog are here to make sure you achieve your summer resolution of getting in shape. With these quick workout tips, you’ll be able to exercise effectively, regardless of how much time you have to do it.

Utilize HIIT

High-intensity interval training, or HIIT, has become increasingly popular in the fitness community as a way to do more cardio in less time. Instead of jogging, cycling or using other cardio machines for an hour, you can alternate between intervals of intense activity and rest for between 20 and 30 minutes. For example, you can structure your exercises into 45 seconds of activity and 15 seconds of rest (but, of course, these times can totally be customized). Depending on how many exercises you have, repeat this process two to four times and you’re done! For an extra great workout, we recommend alternating between cardio and strength exercises, just like the HIIT classes at the RSF.

Train individual muscle groups

You don’t have to do a full-body workout to get your sweat on — if you’re low on time this summer, try focusing on one or two muscle groups per workout. In addition to shortening your gym time, this tip will also allow you to truly fatigue certain muscles and recover fully. It is this process of stress and recovery that will put you on the right path for those desired summer gains. On the flip side, this may require you to work out five or six days a week, but you’ll still be working out for a shorter time period each day!

Experiment with workout time

Some fitness experts live and die by morning workouts; others advocate for nighttime. We at the Clog say, “You do you!” If you have a packed summer schedule, chances are your workout times are limited to the crack of dawn or later in the evening. Try both of these options in order to find which time works best for you and your summer plans. After all, the best time of day to work out is the time of day in which you’ll actually exercise.

Incorporate compound movements

While isolating specific muscles can be very effective, you can speed up your workout by trying a few compound movements. These exercises work multiple muscles, usually within the same muscle group. Some examples include presses, squats, deadlifts and lunges. By incorporating these into your workout, you’ll target multiple muscles within the same movement, cutting down the number of exercises you’ll need to fatigue most of the muscles in one group.

Watch workout tutorials

If you feel uncomfortable in the gym or don’t have access to one, online workout tutorials are a great option for working out on a time crunch. A variety of channels exist on YouTube and other platforms that post short workout videos for both cardio and strength. By utilizing these videos, you’ll not only see how to execute the exercises properly but also have a personal coach encouraging you! Yes, these channels may recommend repeating their videos multiple times, but when you only have 15 minutes for a workout, one video is all you need.

Whether you’re a novice in the gym or a weightlifting pro, a busy schedule can derail your workout routine and motivation. Hopefully, these tips will help you stay on track so you can feel great this summer!

Contact Erin Haar at [email protected].