UC Berkeley alumna Liz Simons to host former president Barack Obama for Democratic benefit luncheon

obama_white-house-archives_cc-copy
White House Archives/Courtesy

UC Berkeley alumna and former Daily Californian employee Liz Simons and her husband Mark Heising are hosting a luncheon benefit for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, or DCCC, Friday at 12:30 p.m.

The fundraiser will be held at Simons and Heising’s home in Atherton and will feature U.S. Rep. Anna Eshoo, D-California, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-California, and former president Barack Obama.

Tickets start at $10,000 per person and go as high as $237,300, with perks for the most expensive ticket including photo opportunities, preferred seating and membership in a top donor group called the Pelosi 250, according to the DCCC’s invitation.

Proceeds will go toward the DCCC’s efforts to helping Democratic House of Representatives candidates in the upcoming midterm elections, Simons said.

“We need to do all we can to lift up the voices of people who have not been able to have a voice,” Simons said.

The DCCC fundraiser is expected to raise upward of $950,000 from the roughly 95 attendees, according to Simons — a fraction of the $162 million that the committee has reportedly raised so far during the 2018 election cycle, according to the Federal Election Committee’s website.

Additionally, Republican groups such as the National Republican Congressional Committee are contributing money for the upcoming midterm elections. According to the Federal Election Committee’s website, the NRCC has raised $126 million so far for the 2018 election cycle.

While not everyone may have the funds to support their preferred party, Simons pointed out that there are still ways to be politically active and contact politicians.

“People should reach out any way they can — call and email them,” Simons said. “I know people have a lot to say to their elected representatives.”

Contact Nathan Chin at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @NathanChin9.