Berkeley police arrest 4 last week for various charges

crime_danielkim_file-698x450-copy
Daniel Kim/File

Berkeley Police Department made four arrests over the past week for various charges, according to a BPD Nixle alert sent Monday afternoon.

The first arrest mentioned in the alert involved Berkeley resident Kenneth Anthony Hendon, 20, who was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of a laptop robbery that occurred at Caffe Strada on Tuesday. The robbery was caught on camera, and witnesses provided officers with a description of both the suspect and the getaway car.

Officers saw Hendon on Saturday on the 1700 block of Alcatraz Avenue and then arrested him.

Another arrest listed was that of Berkeley resident Jahcoby Dillon Adams-Mabin, 24, who was arrested on suspicion of burglary, threatening violence to a police officer, felony battery on emergency personnel and possession of a controlled substance.

On Wednesday, a resident of the 2700 block of Durant Avenue was awakened by a noise and, upon turning on the lights in his room, saw that there was a man in his room. The suspect, Adams-Mabin, allegedly said he was trying to find another address and then offered to sell the resident cocaine, according to the alert.

The resident told the man to leave and reported the incident to BPD, which later found Adams-Mabin on the corner of Bancroft Way and Telegraph Avenue, the alert read. When the officers tried to search Adams-Mabin, he allegedly tried to escape, and the officers restrained him. Upon a search, the officers found 16 grams of cocaine on his person.

The third arrest was of homeless Berkeley resident Christopher Scott Sinclair, 28, who was arrested on suspicion of grand theft and an outstanding warrant.

According to the alert, officers responded to a report of theft at REI on Tuesday, where more than $900 worth of clothes was stolen. The officers saw Sinclair riding a Ford GoBike about a block away from REI, southbound on Tenth Street, and detained him.

The final arrest listed in the alert was in connection to a stabbing that occurred April 3, in which a 20-year-old man had been reportedly stabbed on the 1700 block of McGee Avenue. Berkeley resident Joshua Gertz, 19, was arrested on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, felony battery and probation violation, all associated with the stabbing.

Gertz was arrested after his vehicle was towed for an unrelated matter, when he entered the Berkeley police station to get a tow release on Tuesday.

Sakura Cannestra is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SakuCannestra.