Cal football recruit Chris Fatilua receives $10,000 grant following spinal cord injury

Fatilua
Cal Athletics/Courtesy

In early June, incoming Cal football recruit Chris Fatilua sustained a serious and significant spinal cord injury from an accident in San Diego.

Last week, the College Football Assistance Fund announced that a $10,000 grant would be awarded to Fatilua to address medical and nonmedical costs during the recovery from his injury.

Fatilua’s family released a statement, thanking both the organization and Cal for their continued support.

“I would like to especially thank the College Football Assistance Fund on donating to assist my son in his recovery from a very tragic injury,” Fatilua’s father, Chris Fatilua Sr., said in the statement. “As a single father raising four kids, while working, and now caring for Chris as he goes through rehabilitation in another state, it’s tough. The kindness and generosity shown to our family is very humbling.”

“Also, special thanks to Coach (Justin) Wilcox, Coach (Peter) Sirmon, Coach (Tony) Tuioti and the entire Cal Bear family,” Chris Fatilua Sr. said in the statement.

Wilcox, Cal football’s head coach, similarly expressed gratitude in a statement: “We are thankful that such an organization exists in our sport to support these young men and their families when they are need.”

The medical costs of recovery, however, are not yet specified, and further donations will be needed. Those able to donate can find more information at www.CFAFund.org, where a restricted fund for Fatilua and his family has been established.

Contact Alicia at [email protected]