Star wide receiver, Demetris Robertson, to announce landing spot after leaving Cal football

football_pdowney_file-copy
Phillip Downey/File

Former Cal wide receiver Demetris Robertson is set to announce his landing spot this Saturday, after announcing June 21 his decision to transfer from the program because of “personal matters.”

According to a tweet sent out by representatives of Robertson, he has narrowed his options to Alabama, Georgia, Texas and West Virginia, all of which are elite programs in varying degrees of contention for making a run at a national championship this season.

Wherever Robertson decides to transfer, however, he will most likely be required to sit out a season, per NCAA rules on transfers.

A former five-star recruit as well as the No. 1 wide receiver in his class, the Savannah, Georgia native chose Cal over current options Alabama and Georgia.

Robertson lived up to the hype, totaling 767 receiving yards and seven touchdowns, second in the nation for freshmen. Before his sophomore campaign Robertson was named to the preseason watch list of the Biletnikoff Award, an honor bestowed on the best receiver in college football.

Robertson showed signs of another productive season in the first two games before being sidelined by injury for the last 10.

The Bears’ receiving core is still in good shape, even with the loss of Robertson and the graduation of Jordan Veasy — Veasy led the team in touchdown receptions in 2017-18, with six. Cal returns redshirt senior Vic Wharton III and redshirt junior Kanawai Noa, who together accounted for nearly 1,700 receiving yards and nine touchdowns last season.

Noa and Wharton III will be joined by junior Jordan Duncan, the lone receiver to score a touchdown in this year’s spring game, and sophomore Jeremiah Hawkins, who is poised to make a much greater impact after being one of just four true freshmen to see action for the Bears in 2017.

Contact John Kalil at [email protected].