Berkeley police to operate DUI checkpoint Friday night

crime_danielkim_file
Daniel Kim/File

Berkeley Police Department’s Traffic Bureau will be operating a DUI checkpoint Friday between 8 p.m. and 3 a.m. on Telegraph Avenue near Stuart Street on the southbound side, according to a BPD alert released Thursday.

Officers at the checkpoint will be checking each driver’s license and looking for signs of driving impairment. This will cause a momentary delay for motorists traveling on Telegraph Avenue.

According to the alert, crashes involving impaired driving are reduced by about 20 percent when proactive, well-publicized, routine DUI operations are conducted. BPD reported in the alert that it has investigated about 219 DUI collisions, resulting in 91 injuries, over the past three years.

Any drivers found driving impaired, according to the alert, could receive jail time, DUI classes, driver’s license suspensions, fines and other expenses that could exceed $10,000. Along with that, the alert highlights the embarrassment a driver would feel once family and friends find out about the DUI arrest.

“DUI Checkpoints like this one are placed in locations based on collision statistics and frequency of DUI arrests, affording the greatest opportunity for achieving drunk and drugged driving deterrence,” the alert said. “Locations are chosen with safety considerations for the officers and the public.”

Funding for the DUI checkpoint came from a California Office of Traffic Safety grant through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the alert said. The alert also promotes the mobile app Designated Driver VIP, which finds local bars that feature incentives for sober drivers, such as free nonalcoholic drinks and snacks.

Sakura Cannestra is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SakuCannestra.