Cal football running back Patrick Laird named to Maxwell Award Watch List

football_28_lfrick_ss
Lianne Frick/Senior Staff

From his rise from former walk-on to All-Pac-12 honorable mention, to his community engagement with his Summer Reading Challenge, it’s safe to say that redshirt senior running back Patrick Laird has made an impact both on and off the field during his time at Cal.

Now, Laird is prepared to make his mark on the national stage.

On Monday, the redshirt senior from Arroyo Grande, California, was named to the watchlist for the Maxwell Award, awarded annually to the nation’s college player of the year since 1937.

Laird is coming off a career season that saw him seize the starting running back job early on with a breakout performance against Weber State, and that culminated in a team-high 1,449 all-purpose yards in 11 games. He is also a two-time Pac-12 All-Academic selection, accentuated by first-team honors last year.

Laird joins 84 other student-athletes who will kick off the season on the Maxwell watchlist, including several other Pac-12 stars such as Stanford running back senior Bryce Love, Arizona quarterback junior Khalil Tate and Washington quarterback senior Jake Browning.

The list will be narrowed down to semifinalists on Oct. 29, and three finalists will be selected on Nov. 19. The winner will be revealed Dec. 6 at the College Football Awards Show.

Josh Yuen covers football. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @joshcal2020