Cal football wide receiver duo named to Biletnikoff Award preseason watchlist

football_lfrick_ss-copy
Lianne Frick/Senior Staff

Two Cal wide receivers, redshirt junior Kanawai Noa and redshirt senior Vic Wharton III, will once again be trouble for Pac-12 defenses, as the players have been named to the preseason watchlist for the 2018 Biletnikoff Award, an award that has been given to the best receiver (any position) in college football every year since 1994.

For the second year in a row, the Bears will have two wide receivers on the Biletnikoff Award watchlist, after Wharton and now-Georgia transfer Demetris Robertson were named to the list last year.

The dynamic duo of Noa and Wharton ranks third in receptions among returning pass catchers with 123, and seventh in total receiving yards with 1,659.

Of the 50 candidates who make up the watchlist, only four hail from the Pac-12 conference. In the 24-year history of the award, four Pac-12 representatives have won the award — a Cal Bear has never received the honor.

Ten finalists will be decided Nov. 12, which will then be narrowed down to three on Nov. 20. The winner of the award will be announced at the College Football Awards Show on Dec. 6.

Contact John Kalil at [email protected].

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that only two Pac-12 athletes have won the Biletnikoff Award. In fact, four Pac-12 athletes have won it.