Homeless man arrested on suspicion of trespassing, stealing Berkeley resident’s vehicle

crime_danielkim_file-698x450-copy
Daniel Kim/File

35-year-old homeless man Eddie Lee Lankford III was arrested July 16 for allegedly trespassing in a Berkeley home and taking the owner’s Tesla out for a shopping trip.

At 1:47 p.m., Berkeley Police Department was requested to check the house of an Elmwood resident, who was out of town. According to an email from BPD spokesperson Officer Byron White, the resident had received a phone call from his cleaning service about an unknown man who answered the door in the morning. The man allegedly told the cleaning service that he was working on the house, and that they could have the day off.

Upon arrival at the residence, BPD officers noticed an unlatched window and entered the home, where they heard running water and found Lankford stepping out of the shower, according to an email from White.

BPD took Lankford into custody, where officers found methamphetamine among his belongings. Officers later discovered that Lankford had taken the owner’s 2016 Tesla Model X to go shopping while he was staying at the residence, according to an email from White.

White stated in an email that Lankford was arrested on charges of trespassing, possession of controlled substances, stealing a vehicle and violation of probation.

Revati Thatte is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @revati_thatte.