Suspects arrested on suspicion of robbery and burglary; assault suspects still at large

crime_danielkim_file
Daniel Kim/File

A string of crimes occurred within the past two weeks, including an assault on a 70-year-old man who was “seriously injured,” according to a Nixle alert released by Berkeley Police Department about 12:13 p.m. July 18.

Three separate incidents involving a stolen cell phone, a burgled house and the assault on the man all happened between July 11 and July 17. The cell phone robbery and burglary lead to arrests, but the 70-year-old man’s suspected attackers are still at large, the Nixle alert stated.

BPD is on the lookout for a 25- to 30-year-old light-skinned man and an unidentified woman suspected of assaulting the man July 11 on the 2300 block of Oregon Street, after the man called the police at 12:43 a.m. for help involving a group of intoxicated people in front of his home.

The man was allegedly knocked unconscious by the suspects while he was on the phone with the police dispatch, but has since been released from a local hospital, the Nixle alert stated.

The suspects were last seen driving a “light colored newer model compact sedan,” according to the alert.

On July 13, BPD arrested homeless individual Michael Douglas Hornsby on suspicion of robbery and resisting arrest.

At 10 p.m., an officer saw a woman on Telegraph Avenue fall, get up and chase after Hornsby while yelling that he had stolen her cell phone.

Hornsby ran when he saw the officer in his patrol vehicle. The officer gave chase on foot, and reached him on Channing Way at the 2400 block.

On July 17, Alameda resident Jordon Tyler Robinson and homeless resident Kendell Ledbetter-Brown were arrested on suspicion of burglary after an officer stopped them, the alert said.

At 1:21 p.m., a resident called to report a break-in at an apartment on the 1700 block of Fifth Street in Northwest Berkeley.

The resident said they heard a loud noise and saw the two people run out of their backyard before the suspects got into a Chevy Malibu, according to the alert.

The officer saw the suspects’ vehicle stationary in the eastbound lanes of University Avenue, and the suspects walking to a nearby gas station. The officer called for backup before moving to arrest the suspects, according to BPD spokesperson Officer Byron White.

Contact Jackson Guilfoil at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @GuilfoilJackson.