Top college-themed shows to binge-watch before school starts again

"Dear White People" | Netflix Grade: A-
Adam Rose/Netflix/Courtesy
"Dear White People" | Netflix
Grade: A-

There are only a few weeks of summer left, so why not get into the “college mood” and watch college-themed shows? We at the Clog have compiled a list of shows to help you get into the swing of things before we actually get back into life at UC Berkeley.

“Dear White People”

“Dear White People” was originally a film addressing the issues that minorities, specifically Black people, face on elite college campuses. If you haven’t seen the movie, the Netflix show is able to take its time with sensitive topics such as “reverse racism” (does it even exist?), colorism, LGBTQ+ issues, police violence and how “woke” you have to be to survive. Season two also deals with the problems of internet trolls and much more. If you haven’t got into it yet, we suggest that you start now.

“Hello, My Twenties!”

This highly-rated Korean dramedy follows the life of five young women as they move in together and start college. With each character having their very own distinct personality and flavor, the show demonstrates how college can bring all types of people together as we huddle together to survive our years in university. While most of the characters traverse potential relationships, “Hello, My Twenties!” also highlights the importance of friendship and loyalty in a way that many of us can appreciate.

“Veronica Mars”

“A long time ago … we used to be friends, but I haven’t thought of you lately at all.”

If those lyrics aren’t nostalgic to you, that’s probably because I’m old. That’s fine. The fact remains that “Veronica Mars” is one of the best detective shows out there. Starring a very young Kristen Bell as a senior in high school and following her to college, “Veronica Mars” gets real very quickly when the title character wakes up after a party without knowing the events that had occurred to her the night before.

And while I can’t find this one streaming everywhere (how rude!),  you can find it at your local library! Literally, the UC Berkeley media library has copies of the first couple of seasons on DVD!

“The Good Place” 

OK, so it’s not officially a college movie, but my oh my if it isn’t one giant philosophy experiment — let me try to rephrase that in a way that wouldn’t make the past me run for the hills. I don’t mean it’s philosophical in an edgy, sci-fi kind of way. … It’s literally a comedy where the characters get to defend their right to be in heaven. What does it mean to be a good person? Season one was fantastic, and season two is about to hit Netflix in August!

So although these shows can’t grasp the full reality of being a college student (especially at UC Berkeley), we hope that this list can give you a feel of what to expect this upcoming semester: new friends, a lot of tears, no sleep and so much more fun.

Lauren West is the assistant blog editor. Contact Lauren West at [email protected].