UC Berkeley partners with Panoramic Residences for San Francisco student housing opportunity

UC Berkeley has begun offering students residential living spaces for the upcoming school year in Panoramic Residences, which is a new unit located on Mission and Ninth streets in San Francisco, according to a campus housing email sent Thursday.

Students have the options of single and double bedrooms in shared apartments, two-person studio apartments, and one-person studio apartments, with rents ranging from $1,450 to $2,200 a month, according to the email.

The campus will offer 12-month contracts, if there is enough student interest for fall 2018, according to campus spokesperson Adam Ratliff. Ratliff noted there are no restrictions on who can apply.

“We are trying to gauge student interest for new Fall 2018 Panoramic options (with a strong focus on graduate and upperclass undergraduate students seeking apartment and/or more independent living),” Ratliff said in an email. “At this time we haven’t yet made official arrangements with Panoramic Residences for Fall 2018.”

Initially, the campus partnered with Panoramic Residences to offer summer housing to 57 students who wanted to experience living in San Francisco, according to Ratliff.

He also noted that the campus will only offer spaces in this unit if student interest for fall 2018 is “strong enough.”

“This environment would provide students with a unique residential community in a vibrant part of San Francisco,” Ratliff said in an email. “Rooms are furnished, will have kitchen facilities, and a bathroom in each apartment; there is no meal plan required.”

According to the campus housing website, up to 40 campus students will be housed, alongside students from California College of the Arts and San Francisco Conservatory of Music. Additionally, the Civic Center/UN Plaza BART station is only two blocks away.

ASUC Housing Commission chair Helen Veazey noted that having to pay for transportation and the long commute from San Francisco could be an issue for students.

“It’s kind of obvious that it’s really important for students to have (as) short (a) commute as possible,” Veazey said. “It’s really important that the campus prioritizes building around campus so students don’t have to pay for transportation. There are spaces that can be developed closer to campus.”

For undergraduate students in need of housing closer to UC Berkeley, there are still some options. Ratliff noted that there are still spaces available in various residence halls for the upcoming year, the majority of which are in triple rooms in Units 1, 2 and 3 as well as Foothill.

“We have a small amount of other housing available (limited number of doubles in residence halls or apartments) for students who may have opportunities to secure these rooms via the housing lottery process,” Ratliff said in an email.

Contact Mani Sandhu at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ManiSandhu24.