Vote ‘yes’ on Prop. 4 to expand specialized care in Bay Area children’s hospitals

coloredited_nishalinaik_prop4
Nishali Naik/Staff

In the Bay Area, we are fortunate that children with complex medical conditions and life-threatening diseases have access to world-class, high-quality health care.  According to U.S. News and World Report, UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital in Oakland and San Francisco and the Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital at Stanford are among the country’s best. Doctors at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital in San Francisco were the first in the world to successfully perform surgery on a baby in the womb. And Children’s Hospital Oakland serves more than 1,700 children with sickle cell disease every year.

Proposition 4, the Children’s Hospital Bonds Initiative, expands and improves care for children with serious diseases such as cystic fibrosis, heart disease and leukemia. In fact, 85 percent of the children with leukemia who enter California’s children’s hospitals leave cured.

Together, California children’s hospitals perform 97 percent of pediatric organ transplants in our state and 96 percent of pediatric heart surgeries. All of these services are provided regardless of a family’s income or ability to pay.

California has made health care for young people a priority, regardless of family income. California children’s hospitals consistently provide the best available care to every one of their patients, and this fall, voters have the opportunity to ensure that those facilities are equipped with the best available medical technology.

Prop. 4, like previous children’s hospital bonds, will support expanding hospital facilities and securing innovative, new medical technologies and equipment. The State Treasurer’s Office has singled out these bonds as a success. California has an “investment grade” bond rating because of prudent bonds like Prop. 4.

The incredible cures and research advances at our children’s hospitals have increased demand as more and more other hospitals have come to rely on these specialized institutions to treat seriously ill children.

That growing demand has a silver lining. It means 2 million times each year, children are being cared for in California’s world-class children’s hospitals and more of those children are being cured. Prop. 4 is a proven answer to meet a growing need and a better future for the Bay Area’s youngest residents.

I am voting “yes” on Prop. 4. Join me!

Nancy Skinner is a California state senator representing District 9.