Halloween is only 68 days away! It’s time to get into the Halloween spirit

halloween-vivianroan-file
Vivian Roan/File

It’s official. Halloween is only 68 days away. With school basically kicking into full gear already (and yes, we know it’s only been three days), we want to help UC Berkeley students get into the spooky spirit. Halloween is the next big holiday to get excited for and to (hopefully) motivate and inspire you to keep pushing through these rigorous academics.

You may be thinking, “It’s only August. Why should I start caring about Halloween?” UC Berkeley students always love to be ahead of the game, so what you should really be thinking is, “Wow! It’s already August. What are we doing for Halloween?” We’re here to help you prepare for the spookiest Halloween yet!

Costume preparations

A costume says a lot about a person. It’s the one day you can dress up as someone you’re not — someone you want to be. We can pretend we’re not UC Berkeley students! You can be anything, from something as simple as a Disney character to something impossible, like a 4.0 GPA. Making preparations for your costume can make it bigger and better. Just make sure you’re not offending members of any culture — seriously. Go above and beyond and try to be a happy UC Berkeley student!

Decorations and aesthetic

We’re talking bats, spiderwebs, rats, witches and much more. Start thinking about the aesthetic you want to achieve in your space. Are you more of a scary, fake-blood Halloween type? Or maybe you’re more of a cute pumpkins type of person? Either way, plan ahead to make sure your aesthetic and spooky Halloween decorations pop off!

Baking scary treats

Who doesn’t love sweet treats? Put on your apron and start perfecting your themed treats — by the time Halloween rolls around, you’ll be good enough to be teaching the baking DeCal. Go above and beyond with mummified bananas, ghost Rice Krispies Treats, candy corn fruit parfaits and witch finger treats! If all else fails, just smack some edible eyes onto your treat and it’ll be sure to make some type of Halloween impression.

Wear orange. Only orange.

Forget blue and gold! If you really want to start preparing for Halloween, we suggest you get rid of any colors in your closet that aren’t orange. Wearing orange for 68 days straight might be a challenge, but again, we’re UC Berkeley students — we can do anything. If orange isn’t really your color (because whose color really is orange?), you can definitely go for clothing that is Halloween-themed. Maybe a fun shirt that says “Be my boo?” with a silly ghost next to it.

Design pumpkins

Pumpkin painting and pumpkin carving is probably the most fun activity during the fall season. Make your pumpkins as simple or as extravagant as you want, but make sure to start practicing for the final pumpkin project! You’re going to need a good-looking pumpkin to gain that Instagram clout, so start sharpening your carving knives and planning your design right now.

Bundle down

The fall season is also cold season, even though it’s always cold in Berkeley. You might be thinking you should bundle up for the cold, but we’re here to remind you that you should be training your body to handle cold weather. With Halloween being a time of parties, you’ll only be cold for a few minutes while walking to fraternity row or any other parties. Once you get into these parties, you’ll be hot and hate yourself for carrying around a jacket.

Listen to Halloween jams

Halloween songs are probably the best festive songs there are. Christmas, sorry — you’ve lost this one. With classics such as “This is Halloween” from “The Nightmare Before Christmas” and “Thriller” by Michael Jackson, it’s clear that Halloween music is the easiest and most effective way to get you in the mood for one of the best holidays yet.

Have a movie-night countdown

You’ve got 68 nights to cram in 68 movies, so make sure they count. You can opt for classic scary movies such as “It” and “A Nightmare on Elm Street,” or you can go for less scary but just as festive movies such as “Halloweentown” and “Corpse Bride.” Whatever you choose to watch every night, just make sure it’s creepy in some sense. I mean, Halloween’s supposed to be spooky, right?

Halloween is only 68 days away! Although this does seem too early to get ready, it’s never a bad idea to plan ahead. Before you know it, it’ll be October and you’ll be slammed with projects, midterms and so much more. With low preparation, your Halloween will sadly be a bust. Let us help you make Halloween one of the greatest times of the school year. Start planning, Bears!

Contact Joyce Cam at [email protected].