UCPD gives ‘all clear’ for Lower Sproul area after reports of individual with gun

Student Union.clog.krandel
Kelsi Krandel/File

UCPD issued an “all clear” for the UC Berkeley campus Wednesday afternoon after receiving reports earlier that morning of a subject with a gun in the Lower Sproul area.

About 11:50 a.m., UCPD issued a Nixle alert, advising the community to avoid the area of Martin Luther King Jr. Student Union and the César E. Chávez Student Center because of reports of a subject with a gun. In a Nixle alert issued about 30 minutes later, UCPD informed the community that the individual “appeared to be a private armoured guard with legitimate business on campus.”

Later that evening, campus spokesperson Diana Harvey sent a campuswide email to inform the community that the subject was from Loomis, an armored car company. She added that he was “making his usual rounds to campus vendors to collect cash deposits.”

According to UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Nicolas Hernandez, no one was detained in connection with this incident, despite some reports that someone was. He clarified that in an unrelated incident, another individual in the area was detained on suspicion of disturbing the peace.

Hernandez emphasized that UCPD appreciates community members contacting the department regarding suspicious incidents. In her email, Harvey also thanked the people who reached out to UCPD, encouraging everyone “to err on the side of caution in reporting any suspicious activity.”

“We don’t ever want to discourage that particular aspect of the community helping us out and keeping our campus safe,” Hernandez said. “In this particular case, it proved to be OK.”

Although the individual reported to UCPD was not an active shooter, some students expressed concern over the incident.

ASUC External Affairs Vice President Nuha Khalfay, who was in Eshleman Hall at the time of the reported sightings, said it was a “stressful” situation because there are often many students in the area where the threat was identified.

“It just really drives home this idea … that this could happen anywhere and to anyone,” Khalfay said. “I think we were really, really lucky that this wasn’t an active shooter situation, but that doesn’t it mean it couldn’t have been.”

Contact Harini Shyamsundar and Chantelle Lee at [email protected].