Editors’ Note: Aug. 31

weekender logo
Hannah Cooper/Senior Staff

This week at the Weekender, we’re exploring the ways we think, examining some of the elements that can influence our conceptualizations of identity, society and environment.

This issue features a back-and-forth with Dr. V.S. Ramachandran, an expert in neuroscience who spoke at the 10th Annual California Cognitive Science Conference held at Berkeley in April. Hari Srinivasan sat down with Dr. Ramachandran to talk about his research on mirror neurons, autism and other developing fields of neuroscience.

Next up in our research series, we’ve highlighted the work of Keren Lev, who examines auditory adaptations in children from different socioeconomic backgrounds, examining the possible links to adaptive cognitive capabilities. Check out this feature by staff writer Kristen Hull.

Staff writer Alex Jiménez shines a spotlight on the keynote lecture with bestselling author Margaret Atwood, hosted last week by the campus On the Same Page program. In this feature, she explores the program’s events and looks into what it hopes to provide incoming students.

We’ve also included the creative works of some of our writers, reflecting on themes surrounding emotional experience and identity. Check out this personal essay by Edrick Sabalburo and poem by Olivia Staser.

Contact the Weekender at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter at @dcweekender.