What to watch on Netflix for the perfect study break

Netflix/Courtesy
Netflix/Courtesy
Netflix/Courtesy

By providing a means of escape from the exhausting lifestyle of a student, Netflix has become a quintessential part of the modern-day college experience. With tons of content being released each month, here are some prime Netflix shows and movies for you to watch for every mood you might find yourself in while at UC Berkeley.

For a good laugh…

With UC Berkeley’s midterm season nearing closer and closer each day, it may seem like the only option at hand is to get stressed, frustrated or rant on Piazza to your fellow classmates. Although, after hours of studying in the library, asking questions at office hours and attending the review sessions available for your course, you should be more than prepared. Take some time to relax and let all of your pent-up anxieties out with a laugh.

• “The Office”
  • “Disenchantment”
  • “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before”
  • “The Good Place”
  • “Arrested Development”
  • “In Bruges”
  • “BoJack Horseman”
  • “The Inbetweeners”

For some extra drama…

No one said being a college student was a walk in the park (and even if it was, UC Berkeley has plenty of hills to make it quite the exercise). You may have thought all the drama magically dissipates the day you graduate high school, but for some, it always finds a way to seep back into your life, making it a virtual reality TV show for you — minus the Kardashians’ paystub. From conflicts with roommates over the leaning tower of dishes to fights with your parents about cutting back your boba expenditures, you’ll encounter 101 dramas on the regular. There’s nothing like watching a good ol’ drama on Netflix to make you realize that the unsolicited $2 Venmo charge from your housemate isn’t all that bad.

• “Breaking Bad”
  • “Better Call Saul”
  • “No Country for Old Men”
  • “Freaks and Geeks”
  • “The Truman Show”
  • “Stranger Things”
  • “The Godfather”
  • “The Departed”

For a quick cry…

So, you’ve been handed back your first exam of the semester, and at the surface level, it seems like everything you’ve ever known about school and studying is crashing down. It’s important to keep in mind that your grades are by no means a reflection of your intellect or worth and not to be bothered by one performance in one class at such a challenging university. But, if you need a moment to lounge on your bed with your favorite snack at arm’s reach, that’s completely understandable. Allocating relaxation time in your schedule is an extremely underrated task, so hit the play button and start that TV show you added on your watch list ages ago.

• “Milk”
  • “Coco”
  • “Parenthood”
  • “Grey’s Anatomy”
  • “Lion”
  • “Okja”
  • “Queer Eye”
  • “The Fosters”

UC Berkeley can make you feel a lot of different ways throughout your four years here, but there’s a guarantee that you can always find something on Netflix that’ll complement your mood. Next time you feel the pressure of midterms getting to you, 30 minutes of Netflix is the solution you need in your life.

Contact Erika Lee at [email protected].