Makeup chain Sephora to open location in West Berkeley

sephora_vivianroan_staff
Vivian Roan/Staff

Sephora, the widely known personal care and beauty store, will open a new location in West Berkeley, as first reported by Berkeleyside.

The new Sephora will be located at 1785 Fourth St. in a space formerly occupied by a Crate&Barrel outlet store. The space will be shared with a new Amazon Books store, according to Berkeleyside.

Sephora could not provide an expected date for the store’s opening, or any further details, as each location is independently owned.

Campus sophomore Natalie Kudenholdt said the new Sephora location would be much more convenient, considering that the nearest locations are in Emeryville and San Francisco.

“It is nice to know that it’s there, and just in general that area is cool because it’s a very different vibe from the more student-oriented area at Berkeley,” said campus sophomore Ruby Welsh Ferreyra. “So I think it’s cool that it’s available if it was something we wanted.”

Welsh Ferreyra added that Sephora has more specific products and brands than other makeup stores in the area, such as MAC and Benefit Cosmetics.

Kudenholdt said she uses both drugstore and high-end makeup but prefers not to go to Walgreens. She added, however, that she does not have the time to go to Emeryville to buy her makeup, even though Sephora has a wider range of cosmetics than Walgreens.

At least with Sephora, you can kind of get your range of pick, and you don’t have to look specifically for something,” Kudenholdt said. “They’re more within my range of makeup.”

Sephora now operates in 33 countries worldwide and has 430 and counting stores across the Americas. Fourth Street is already home to a number of cosmetic shops, including MAC Cosmetics, bareMinerals and Benefit Cosmetics.

Campus freshman Hannah Pak, who comes from San Diego, expressed her mixed reactions for the new Sephora location.

“I mean personally, I’m kind of unaffected by it, and I don’t have any opinions about whether it’s bad or good,” Pak said. “But I guess it’s cool because a lot of my friends do purchase from Sephora, so it’s definitely convenient.”

The current building will be renovated and divided into two separate retail spaces, according to an application for a building permit on the city of Berkeley’s website.

City Councilmember Linda Maio previously told The Daily Californian that Fourth Street attracts customers because of its unique small businesses and that it is a “special spot” that has been able to maintain a small-scale feel.

“We have a lot of different food, but when it comes to clothings and beauty, there’s not a lot,” Pak said. “You always have to go to Emeryville or Target, which is 20 minutes away.”

Contact Bella An at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @BellaAn_dc.