Restaurants that will impress your parents over homecoming weekend

restaurants_karenchow_file
Karen Chow/File

While Telegraph Avenue might suffice for the hungry college student in dire need of a quick bite, chances are your parents won’t be as eager to munch on popcorn chicken and slices of pizza on their visit to Berkeley. Here are five Berkeley restaurant to impress your parents’ palates and prove to them that you’ve been eating well since you left the nest.

Maîson Bleue

If you’re an early bird or your parents just so happen to be, head to Maîson Bleue on Kittredge Street for great breakfast and brunch options to start the day on the right note. There is plenty of outdoor seating available for you to bask in the autumn sun — before the wintertime settles in — while you enjoy delicious crepes and refreshing drinks.

Kamado Sushi

Situated in Berkeley’s Gourmet Ghetto is Kamado Sushi, which offers a variety of dishes, from udon to tempura. But easily the star of the restaurant is its nigiri sushi. Nigiri typically comes with two pieces of sushi, which is great for when your mom or dad is in town and you’re in need of a sushi partner. The restaurant has tons of nigiri to choose from, with fish that is both fresh and imported from around the world.

La Note

If you’ve ever strolled down Shattuck on a Sunday, you’ve inevitably encountered the crowds of people lining up outside La Note. Although it’s a good idea to book a reservation in advance, even if you find yourself having to wait, the taste of the food will make it all worthwhile. With mouthwatering tartines and fluffy French toast, there’s a little bit of savory and sweet scattered throughout the menu for everyone to leave happy.

La Marcha Tapas Bar

Located in West Berkeley near the marina, La Marcha may not ring bells to students here, but the Spanish food is worth the brief car ride. With a bevy of flavorful appetizers to pick from, such as black squid-ink aioli and mushroom croquettes, you’ll have your parents feeling no less than satisfied. There are also several choices of paella to choose from if you’re seeking something a little more hearty and filling.

Although a regular-sized milk tea drink with boba may register as an acceptable meal for UC Berkeley students, it’s time to pull out all the stops for your folks and treat them to an array of scrumptious meals as a token of your appreciation.

Contact Erika Lee at [email protected].