Let’s get this bread! A simple, delicious seedy nut bread recipe

bread_allisonfong_staff1
Allison Fong/Staff

Now, I love bread. I’ve contemplated making my own bread before, but all of them require yeast, and that’s just a headache waiting to happen. As a health-conscious individual, I’m always looking at what I put into my body. I avoid processed foods as much as I can and focus on feeding my body with whole ingredients. Bread is always a hard obstacle to get around, because although some bread may be considered “healthy,” they aren’t really that good for you. Made out of grains, nuts and seeds, this loaf is super high in protein and fiber. There’s no funny business here with preservatives, artificial sweeteners or ingredients that are stripped of their nutrients. Sure, you could totally go out and buy bread from the grocery store, but I can guarantee that nothing will compare to this seedy loaf.

Plus, nothing compares to the feeling of looking at something that you made and thinking, “Woah, I just made that!”

Ingredients

1 1/2 cup of rolled oats (gluten-free: use gluten-free oats)

1/2 cup of raw unsalted pumpkin seeds

1/2 cup of golden flax seeds

1/2 cup of raw and unsalted sunflower seeds

1/2 cup of walnuts

2 tablespoons of chia seeds

1/4 cup of sesame seeds

3 tablespoons of psyllium husk powder

1 teaspoon of fine sea salt

2 tablespoons of raw honey (1 tablespoon of maple syrup, if vegan)

1 1/2 cup of boiling water

3 tablespoons of coconut oil  

Directions

Combine all the dry ingredients into a loaf pan and stir until thoroughly mixed.

bread_allisonfong_staff5

In a measuring cup, whisk together the boiling water, coconut oil and honey. Once the coconut oil is completely melted into the mixture, pour the solution over your dry ingredients. Stir the dough mixture to combine. Let it sit for at least two hours or overnight.

bread_allisonfong_staff4

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake your loaf for 25 minutes.

bread_allisonfong_staff3

After 25 minutes, remove the loaf from the pan and place it upside down on a baking sheet. Bake for an additional 30-40 minutes. When the loaf is done baking, allow it to cool completely.

bread_allisonfong_staff2

Enjoy this bread on its own or spice things up with this elevated avocado toast recipe! No matter how you decide to eat it, know that you’re putting some great ingredients into your system. Plus, you made it! Be proud of yourself! 

This recipe is adapted from “My New Roots.”

Contact Allison Fong at [email protected].