3 incidents of violent crime occur in Berkeley over weekend

crime_danielkim_file-698x450-copy
Daniel Kim/File

Berkeley Police Department released details related to three separate incidents of violent crime in a Nixle alert sent Monday afternoon.

On Saturday, a suspect walked up to a 63-year-old man lying on his blanket on Shattuck Avenue and threw a bottle at his head about 11:05 p.m., according to the alert. The suspect then drove away, and the victim was treated at a local hospital for a cut on his forehead.

In a separate incident Sunday, a suspect walked up to a 42-year-old man walking on University Avenue and knocked him to the ground about 8:10 a.m., according to the alert. The suspect — 25-year-old homeless man David Julian Prendez — was arrested on suspicion of battery and violating probation and under a warrant for his arrest after BPD officers arrived at the scene. The victim was treated at the scene for bruises and swelling of his face.

Also Sunday, two suspects approached a 42-year-old man walking on Prince Street and began “punching and kicking” him about 11:45 p.m., the alert said. The man was stabbed in the shoulder and treated at a local hospital for the stab wound and cuts and bruises to his face.

Anjali Shrivastava is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @anjalii_shrivas.