Federal elections: Incumbents Dianne Feinstein, Barbara Lee projected to win

congress_mugcomposite

In the midterm races for Congress, incumbents Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-California, and Rep. Barbara Lee, D-Oakland, were projected to win their seats as of press time at 2:00 a.m.

Feinstein is projected to defeat California state Sen. Kevin de León in the race for the United States Senate, receiving 53.9 percent of the vote with 75.2 percent of the precincts reported about 2:00 a.m. Lee defeated Green Party candidate Laura Wells in the race to represent District 13 — which includes Berkeley — in the House of Representatives, receiving 87.7% percent of the vote with 100 percent of the precincts reported about 2:00 a.m.

U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein projected to win U.S. Senate race

The victory for Feinstein, a Democrat, marks her reelection into her fifth term as the U.S. senator from California — a seat she has held since 1992.

“This is the greatest honor in my life, to represent my city and my state in the Senate of the United States,” Feinstein said Tuesday at her election-night party in San Francisco, as reported by the Los Angeles Times. “This state — the fifth-largest economic power on Earth, over 40 million people, bigger than 21 states and the District of Columbia put together — needs strong representation.”

Feinstein’s top priorities for her next term in office include promoting universal health care, gun control and comprehensive immigration reform.

As a California senator, Feinstein’s accomplishments include gun control reform, such as the assault weapons ban, preservation of California forests and legislation protecting amateur athletes from sexual abuse, according to her campaign website.

Among other accomplishments, Feinstein was the first woman to be elected senator of California and the first female member of the Senate Judiciary Committee. Feinstein’s endorsements for Senate include former president Barack Obama, former vice president Joe Biden and outgoing governor Jerry Brown.

De León, who received 46 percent of the vote as of press time, is a member of the California State Senate representing the 24th District, which encompasses much of Los Angeles, and served as the state Senate president pro tem from 2014 to March 21, 2018. De León’s main platforms in the Senate race included Medicare for all, clean energy, gun control, free public education, immigration reform and cannabis reform.

Rep. Barbara Lee wins House seat

Lee has served for 20 years in Congress since she was first elected in 1998, and she will now continue to represent California’s 13th Congressional District for another term. In the House, she is a senior Democratic whip, and she also formerly served as chair of the Congressional Black Caucus.

Lee’s top priorities for her upcoming term in office include ensuring access to affordable health care, high-quality public schools and debt-free college and passing comprehensive immigration reform that keeps families together, among others. As a congressional representative, Lee’s work included three bills signed into law related to HIV/AIDS prevention — one of which created a $15 billion fund to fight HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria.

Wells received 12.29 percent of the vote as of press time. A political activist with the Green Party since it became ballot-qualified in 1992, Wells was a write-in candidate in the June primary election. If she had won the seat in the general election, she said she would have promoted a progressive agenda, aiming to provide free health care, free university tuition and affordable housing to constituents.

“I’m hoping that people will recognize that the Green Party has got the right idea about never taking (corporate) money and that we should expect more from our representatives than what we’ve been getting,” Wells said.

Contact Hannah Piette and Jenny Weng at [email protected].