Let’s twist again: Savory, cheesy, twisty bread recipe

cheesy2_sunny-sichi_staff
Sunny Sichi/Staff

Baking bread can be a daunting task. Waiting to see whether or not your dough will rise is always terrifying, trying to figure out how yeast works is confusing, and you never know if your dough will bake properly in your oven. It turns out that “getting this bread” isn’t as simple as it seems. Luckily for all of you, we at the Clog have figured out a recipe for making some incredible bread that your taste buds will appreciate. While it does take some patience and love, we think it’s worth it for the awesome result.

cheesy1_sunny-sichi_staff

Ingredients

5 ¾ cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon and 1/2 teaspoon table salt

3 tablespoons white sugar

1 cup warm buttermilk

1 cup warm water

¼ cup melted, unsalted butter

3 packets Fleischmann’s RapidRise Yeast or 2¼ tablespoons instant yeast 

3 cups shredded cheddar

1 cup minced parsley and chives

5 cloves minced garlic

Directions

Mix your flour, salt and sugar together in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk your buttermilk, water and yeast. 

Add your liquid ingredients and the butter to your dry ingredients bowl. Mix it with your hands until there is no dry flour left.

Knead your dough on a floured surface. To knead, fold over and press down, turn the dough, fold over and press down, and repeat this for about 5 minutes.

Then, place your dough into a bowl that has been oiled and put plastic wrap over it. Let the dough rise for an hour or until it has doubled in size.

After your dough has risen, cut your dough into two pieces and roll each out into rectangles. If you don’t have a rolling pin, feel free to use a wine bottle or any other object that resembles a rolling pin!

cheesy6_sunny-sichi_staff

Spread your cheese, parsley, chives and garlic on both rolled-out pieces of dough. Feel free to try out other ingredients as well.

cheesy5_sunny-sichi_staff

Roll up your dough from the shorter side. Cut each roll down the middle lengthwise. Starting with the first roll you cut, carefully twist them together in an over-under pattern. Do the same for the second roll.

cheesy4_sunny-sichi_staff

After greasing 2 loaf pans, place each into one and place plastic wrap over them. Let them rise for another hour. While you wait, preheat your oven to be 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Once they’ve risen, place them in the oven and let them bake for 50 minutes.

cheesy3_sunny-sichi_staff

After the 50 minutes are up, take the loaves out, let them cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!

cheesy7_sunny-sichi_staff

Contact Sunny Sichi at [email protected].