Around town with Allison: To the window! To these Instagram-worthy walls!

walls_allison-fong2_staff-copy
Allison Fong /Staff

Has your Instagram feed been kind of dead as of late? Are you looking for ways to spice up your feed? Do you feel somewhat inferior to your trendy friends who effortlessly flaunt their aesthetic feeds? If you answered yes to any of those questions, this article is for you.

Social media is an interesting realm, one where you post snippets of you living your best life — so why not snap a pic of yourself living your best life in front of an insanely aesthetic wall? Some of these murals are relatively close to each other, so you better hit them all up so you can stockpile those Instagram photos. #lifehacks

Snapping a photo of you standing in front of a wall and smiling or hitting us with a smize (smile with the eyes) is arguably one of the easiest ways to take aesthetic photos — hands down. Oakland, Berkeley’s ever-so-trendy neighbor, has done it again, folks. Although I’ve done similar pieces like this before covering Insta-worthy walls in Berkeley and Oakland, there is still so much art out there and I have unofficially made it my duty to showcase my favorites. Grab your friends (leave your selfie sticks at home, please) and head over to these trendy walls in Oakland!

Location: 19th Street and Telegraph Avenue, Oakland, CA 94612

walls_allison-fong4_staff-copy

Francisco Diaz, known as Pastel, is an architect and painter who has been blessing us all with his iconic floral creations. With works that can be seen around the world including Argentina, the Philippines, Norway, France and many more, Pastel’s style definitely stands for itself. Not only are his pieces aesthetically pleasing, they also offer a chance to cultivate local identity and start conversations about society’s interactions with nature.

Location: 2040 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA 94612

walls_allison-fong5_staff-copy

Ernest Doty, a New Mexico native, has been creating psychedelic works of art in the Bay Area for some time now. This location specifically has a couple other works by Doty, so be sure to check out the right side of this wall as well as the wall on 21st Street! As you take a look at his work, you might notice that a lot of them feature birds which symbolize freedom and nature. Without a doubt, Doty’s mesmerizing pieces will definitely transport you to another dimension.

Location: 930 Alice St., Oakland, CA 94607

walls_allison-fong3_staff-copy

Created by Lin Fei Fei, a professional artist from China, in collaboration with Dragon School, this piece is a real looker. Right in the middle of Oakland’s Chinatown, sits one of the many works of art piloted by Dragon School, a nonprofit which pushes for community development through art. With inspiration from Chinese mythology and abstract techniques, this piece really speaks for itself! Although it’s a black and white painting, this piece definitely isn’t lacking with its wow factor.

Location: 4251 MacArthur Blvd., Oakland, CA 94619

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

On the side of High Street Pharmacy sits two bears that are truly out of this world. Roger Peet and Fernando Santos collaborated on this insane piece to spread awareness for the Bring Back the Bears campaign, a national campaign to save the grizzlies. This specific piece is just one of many other Laurel Space Bears that live in the Laurel District of Oakland. If you’re ever in the neighborhood, make a mission to find them all! 

Location:  2744 E 11th St., Oakland, CA 94601

walls_allison-fong2_staff-copy

Artthaus Studios, home to offices and artists’ studios, is the location of our last Insta-worthy wall. Spanning an entire block, this building showcases color blocking at its finest. A building that was once part of the Del Monte Cannery, the Lucasey building has gone through a drastic transformation with its mural by Charlie Edminston. Can someone say “glow up”?

What are you waiting for? Those pictures aren’t going to take themselves, people! Go and explore these amazing Oakland murals with your friends! (And maybe take a photo or two in front of them to remind yourself of all the amazing pieces of art that live in the Bay!) If you get anything out of this article, I hope that you’re able to be more aware of your surroundings. There’s so much to see—you just have to look! 

Allison Fong writes the weekly blog column on places and activities to try in and around Berkeley. Contact her at [email protected].