Pump up the jam! An ’80s montage-style playlist to study to

coloredited_nishalinaik_playlist
Nishali Naik/Staff

Dead Week is upon us, which means you’re in for hours of cramming webcasts, jostling for a seat in a library and ingesting an unhealthy amount of caffeine. What better thing to supplement your hard work and suffering than an ’80s montage-style playlist? Absolutely nothing.

“You’re the Best” by Joe Esposito

“Karate Kid” to the rescue! UC Berkeley students love nothing more than being told they’re the best. Esposito’s upbeat song will definitely make you feel better about yourself while improving your bleak outlook on finals week. Play this song, read your shit and kick some ass!

“Power of Love” by Huey Lewis and the News

The driving beat of this song will give you a new appreciation for the power of ’80s music. Or maybe it’s just me. Either way, this song will make the hours feel like minutes as you laser-focus on the history of capitalism or whatever else demands your attention at the moment.

“Hungry Like the Wolf” by Duran Duran

Imagine yourself after finals, running carefree on a beach with no worries plaguing you. Duran Duran’s ultimate jam will take you through the stages that you’ll need to pass to get there. Studying? Crying? Cramming? Test taking? More crying? Beach? This song will be there with you every step of the way through your Dead Week montage.

“St. Elmo’s Fire (Man in Motion)” by John Parr

Parr’s song will strike a note of hopefulness into your heart. Play this during your low points of the week, and it’ll pick you right back up. You can’t feel unmotivated while listening to this song. In fact, you may even feel like taking your finals now! (We’re kidding.)

“Everybody Hurts” by R.E.M.

You know we had to throw this one in. If there’s one song that describes Dead Week at UC Berkeley, it’s this one. Set this sad bop as the soundtrack to your tears, and then, just like every other student, monotonously get back to your work when the song is over.

“We are the Champions” by Queen

Fists up, on your knees and screaming with joy — that’s how you’ll feel after finals with this song playing in the background. Blast this Queen staple during your final moments of studying, and it’ll get you pumped up to tackle that test.

“I’m Always Here” by Jimi Jamison

While this isn’t an ’80s song, it sure as hell sounds like one. This “Baywatch” theme song will have you feeling like Jimi Jamison is right there in your ear telling you that everything will be all right. It’ll bring you out of that rut when you’re only five pages into that 15-page essay that’s due the next day.

Before you know it, Dead Week will be over and soon, so will finals. Crank up these tunes to help you pass the time and keep you motivated for those last two weeks of the semester. Don’t give up Golden Bears, and the best of luck from the Clog on finals!

Contact Pooja Bale at [email protected] .