Tis’ the season to be jolly: Easy peppermint chocolate cookie recipe to de-stress this dead week

cookie5_kelly-fong_staff
Kelly Fong/Staff

Tis’ the season to be jolly — or at least try to? Dead week is finally here, and finals are creeping closer and closer by the day. It’s the time of the year when we regret a whole semester of procrastination and our stress levels are out of this world. But fear not, we at the Clog are here to provide you with ways to de-stress, because we all know you need it. Take a break from watching lectures at 2X speed, and bake these rich, delicious peppermint chocolate cookies. They only take 30 minutes to make!  

Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)

3/4 cup sugar

1 egg

1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract  

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/3 cup cocoa powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Crushed candy canes

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, mix in the butter, sugar, eggs and peppermint extract until it’s fluffy. Combine the flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda into the wet mixture. After it’s well mixed, stir in the chocolate chips. On a baking pan, use the dough to make small balls, and place them about 1 inch apart from each other. The top of the balls should be slightly flat.

cookie1_kelly-fong_staff

Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes. While the cookies are baking, crush the candy canes by placing them in a ziplock bag and smashing them with a wooden spoon.

cookie2_kelly-fong_staff

Shortly after taking the cookies out of the oven, sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top of them. Wow! You’re done! It’s only been 30 minutes, and hopefully, you’re less stressed and ready to continue grinding for your finals while eating these amazing cookies! Happy baking and good luck, Golden Bears!

cookie4_kelly-fong_staff

Contact Kelly Fong at [email protected].