Practical ways to stay warm and dry as the winter season arrives

rain_kaylabaskevitch_file
Kayla Baskevitch/File

As the semester ends, the weather seems to be getting colder and colder. Not only that, but the cold weather also seems to be bringing rain along with it. But don’t fret. The coming winter doesn’t have to make you uncomfortable. Here are some ways to stay warm and dry as we enter the colder months.

Layers

The best piece of advice for handling cold weather we can give you is definitely wearing layers. This way, you can control your own temperature by putting things on and taking them off again. What you wear is up to you, but a jacket and a sweater never hurt.

Raincoats and umbrellas

If rain is what you’re really worried about, then be sure to always have a raincoat and/or an umbrella with you at all times. It can be hard to predict when it will start raining, so being prepared is a good idea. As an added bonus, many raincoats act as windbreakers, which makes them a good outer layer when the wind inevitably arrives. Getting soaked in the rain can suck and make you very cold, so try to keep yourself dry.

Stay inside

An easy way to avoid the weather is to stay indoors as much as possible. Sometimes your apartment might not be much warmer than it is outside, but at least there are blankets and you won’t get rained on. Buildings on campus might be warmer too, so go find your favorite nook and hope nobody has taken your spot already.

Warm food and drinks

A quick way to warm up is with some warm food or drink. The heat will spread throughout your body and keep warm in your stomach. As an added bonus, some things (such as spiced cider) can get you into the winter mood.

Keep moving

Exercise can make you feel warmer too. If sitting in a chair all day is making you cold, why not do a quick exercise to get your blood pumping? Additionally, if you run from class to class, you’ll spend less time in the cold outdoors.

Be sure to stay warm and dry this winter — it’ll make you feel better overall. The cold doesn’t have to be a bad thing — you just need to find a way to make yourself comfortable in it! 

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected].