Metal security gate thwarts attempted burglary at Berkeley Apple store

apple3_bpd_courtesy
BPD/Courtesy

Two would-be burglars allegedly drove a U-Haul truck into the front window of an Apple store in West Berkeley early Thursday morning, shattering the glass doors but failing to gain entry, authorities said.

Berkeley Police Department responded to a burglar alarm at 1823 Fourth St. at 3:23 a.m., as first reported by Berkeleyside. When officers arrived at the scene, they found the abandoned U-Haul truck with the engine still running, according to an email from BPD spokesperson Officer Byron White.

The truck had been driven through the store’s glass front doors but was unable to penetrate the inner metal security gate, according to White. He added that the business remained intact, and it does not appear that the two suspects who fled the scene were able to gain entry.

apple1_bpd_courtesy

BPD/COURTESY

BPD does not believe anyone was injured in this incident, White said in an email.

The Berkeley Apple store has been a target for thieves and burglars in the past, the most recent incident occurring in November 2016 during a string of burglaries.

The store reopened Thursday at 2 p.m. and will observe special hours for the next four days, according to an automated message.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Amber Tang is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ambertang_dc.