Berkeley police report suspected street robbery, vehicle theft in community alert

crime_danielkim_file-698x450-copy
Daniel Kim/File

Berkeley Police Department notified the community of two separate instances of suspected robbery and theft that occurred Tuesday afternoon, according to a Nixle alert released Thursday.

The first occurred at 5:40 p.m., when a suspect allegedly robbed a woman of her purse on Woolsey Street near Ellis Street.

The BPD alert said the suspect blocked the victim’s path and demanded her purse. When he made a grab for the purse, the victim struggled to hold on and screamed for help. The suspect eventually got away with the purse, according to the alert.

The alert described the suspect as an 18- to 23-year-old male wearing a white sweatshirt and dark jeans.

At 6:14 p.m. that day, an officer arrested Keith Allen Wallace in front of the Fourth Street Apple store on suspicion of vehicle theft, according to the alert.

The alert said an officer became aware of the situation when Wallace double-parked the vehicle and went into the store. The officer noticed that the vehicle did not have a proper license plate, and when he took down the vehicle identification number, he saw that it had been reported as stolen from the city of Phoenix.

Sophia Brown-Heidenreich is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected]ailycal.org and follow her on Twitter at @sophiabrownh.