3rd man arrested in connection with gang-related shootings in South Berkeley

crime_danielkim_file-698x450
Daniel Kim/File

Twenty-year-old Malik Harrison was arrested Dec. 24 and charged in connection with gang-related shootings in South Berkeley, as first reported by Berkeleyside.

Two other suspects, David Russell and Grayson Gordon, were previously charged in relation to these shootings. The suspects are allegedly part of a subset of West Berkeley’s Waterfront gang “Babas,” which has been in conflict with the South Berkeley gang “Ls.”

On April 12, 2018, a man was injured by flying glass shards when shots were fired into a nearby home in the Mabel Street neighborhood just before 10 p.m. About 10 minutes earlier, the Rosewood Manor apartment complex half a mile away at 1615 Russell St. was hit by gunfire, causing damage to the property, according to Berkeleyside.

Police noted that Harrison’s white Honda was one of the vehicles to flee the April 12 scene. Officers also connected Harrison’s car to a shooting April 14 on the I-580 freeway in Richmond. Authorities believe the shootings were carried out by the same group.

According to Alameda County public records, Harrison has been charged with carrying a concealed firearm within a vehicle, carrying a loaded firearm and evading an officer with willful disregard. He is currently being held in Santa Rita Jail awaiting his pretrial hearing, which has been set for Tuesday.

Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Officer Byron White said in an email that BPD has not released any information regarding the shooting and all that information dispersed to the public has been gathered through public records.

Contact Lauren Good at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @lgooddailycal.