A delicious and a-peeling healthy banana bread recipe

Freshly baked banana bread in a rectangular baking container rests upon tile covered countertop, coated in pumpkin seeds.
Kelly Fong/Staff

It’s the new year, which means we are all currently on that health grind to meet our new year’s resolution — congrats if you’ve made it this far; one month down and 11 to go! But just because we’re trying to eat healthy doesn’t mean we have to give up on all our favorite guilty pleasures. Substituting ingredients to make dishes healthier is the best way to go.  

Banana bread is something I just can’t live without. Carbs and bananas? What more can I ask for? However, filled with sugar, banana bread is sadly not the healthiest thing in the world. But by substituting sugar for honey, butter for coconut oil and topping it off with chia and pumpkin seeds (which are good sources of fiber, iron, calcium and protein), we’re able to devour banana bread without shame and guilt.  

Ingredients:  

3 ripe bananas  

1/2 cup honey

2 large eggs 

¼ cup milk (any kind is fine!) or water  

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

⅓ cup coconut oil

1 ½ cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon chia seeds

Handful of pumpkin seeds

Directions:

Heat the oven to 350 F and grease pan with coconut oil. In a large bowl, use a fork and mash the bananas together. Mix in the honey, eggs, milk, vanilla extract and coconut oil. Pour in the flour, baking soda, salt and chia seeds. Stir until everything is well blended together.

banana3_kelly-fong_staff-copy

Pour the batter into the greased pan and sprinkle the pumpkin seeds over it. Place in the oven and bake for about 50-60 minutes. 

banana_kelly-fong_staff-copy

And you’re done! It was that easy! Now enjoy your healthy banana bread before or after your workout (or both)!Happy baking, Golden Bears!  

Contact Kelly Fong at [email protected].