Movies coming out spring 2019 to help distract you from your classes

A woman looking scared with a masked person in the background
Blumhouse Productions/Courtesy

Movies are a great way to forget about midterms or papers. You can sit down in a theater and let yourself be taken away to a far-off world. If superhero movies are to your liking, be sure to check out this Daily Californian article as the piece you are currently reading will not showcase any, even though there are some exciting ones that are coming out. So here are some nonsuperhero movies to help you forget your real world worries!

“The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part” (February 8)

Here to kick off this list is an animated movie seemingly built out of Legos. This is perfect if you want to be transported to another world that can remind you of your childhood. Also, if the first movie is any indication of how it may make you feel, let’s just say you’re going to feel good by the end of it. (Which is nice after a stressful week.)

“Happy Death Day 2U” (February 13)

Horror is, weirdly enough, another way to escape the terrors of everyday life. At least all these college students need to deal with in this movie is a baby masked killer, who they have to beat to escape a Groundhog Day time loop. So go and forget that terrifying midterm by losing yourself into the less scary ordeal of dying over and over again.

“Alita: Battle Angel” (February 14)

Cool robot battles and stunning visuals with the chance of a good plot are all the reasons this movie might be a great distraction. It’s an action movie based off a classic manga series so if they get it right, it shouldn’t be missed. At the very least it isn’t a kids’ movie or a horror movie, in case you’re against those types of movies.

“How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World” (February 22)

The “How to Train Your Dragon” movies have so far been great, emotional, fantasy adventures. The third film looks like it won’t disappoint on that front. So go watch this if you want cute dragons and memorable moments.

“Us” (March 22)

Another horror movie, this time for the people who want to get away from school. Given that it’s from Jordan Peele (the director of “Get Out”) it should be worth seeing. Maybe you can imagine that a murderous doppelganger is the reason your GPA isn’t as good as you want it to be.

“Pokémon: Detective Pikachu” (May 10)

To end our list is a weird movie coming out right before finals. Imagine Ryan Reynolds was playing a talking Pikachu in a live-action mystery Pokemon movie. Well, it exists and it’s coming out to distract you from your looming finals. Let’s hope it’s as awesome as it looks.

So there are some movies coming out this semester to distract yourself with. Remember, just like in a movie you will get past this semester but these movies are going to make that process a little more pleasant.

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected] .