‘Life Goes On’: Director Mia Hansen-Løve showcases realism in BAMPFA film series

Various scenes from Mia Hansen-Love's movies
Chi Park/Staff

It is undeniably true that our days are littered with palpable and oftentimes disconcerting reminders of the fragility and instability of life. Whether it be President Donald Trump’s assertion that he can, and will, shut down the government as he personally sees fit or the continued struggle to find a global solution to the threat of climate change, it can be difficult to watch the news and come to the conclusion that life — and all its discrepancies — is beautiful.

So don’t look to the news for that resolution. Instead, find it in the Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive’s latest film series, “Life Goes On: The Films of Mia Hansen-Løve.” In her many films, flush with stark primary colors and vibrant summer aesthetics, the French filmmaker takes the pulse of humanity and displays it rawly. The films in this series explore a variety of intellectual, romantic and philosophical situations, presenting the audience with studies in what it means to be human. And in Hansen-Løve’s powerful displays of humanity, she captures the beauty of uncertainty that is hard to remember when watching a newsreel.

Maisy Menzies

‘One motion, one process’: Director Mia Hansen-Løve talks filmmaking process, philosophy in cinema

There’s a studied thoughtfulness to her work in the precise ways her characters interact with each other and the world. This precision, however, is cast in such a way that her films never come off as lofty.

— Camryn Bell

Mia Hansen-Løve’s ‘Things to Come’ finds solace in small admissions of life

This restrained, languid direction defines the film’s authenticity — after all, life isn’t made up of big moments or of the grand philosophical pronouncements that Nathalie so loves. It’s mostly just made up of everything in between.

— Grace Orriss

‘Eden’ tells vibrant story of youth in French electronic music scene

“Eden” follows his character through his journey at an integral, transitional period in French electronic music, capturing the chaotic, energized feel of the rave scene.

— Julia Mears

‘Father of My Children’ explores nuances of fatherhood, familial obligation

The aftermath of the unexpected is captured masterfully by director Mia Hansen-Løve in her 2009 award-winning movie “Father of My Children.” In this slice-of-life drama, Hansen-Løve examines the range of emotions surrounding the decisions taken by a struggling film producer and how his family must be expected to cope.

— Hari Srinivasan

Mia Hansen-Løve portrays chaos of youthful love in ‘Goodbye First Love’

But as painful as Camille’s journey is for the audience to experience, “Goodbye First Love” is completely aware of its own effect. The film is ultimately an aching ballad of the violence, the trauma and the art of suffering for love.

— Areyon Jolivette

BAMPFA will be screening “Life Goes On: The Films of Mia Hansen-Løve” until Feb. 14th.